Friday, September 29, 2006

Hurray it's Friday! And another bonus, is that I have nothing planned for the weekend. It harshes my sloth when I have too many things to do.

I need to start eating right (and normally) again. Is it Fall that is causing me to eat so poorly and piggishly? I swear, don't come too close to me because I shall eat you. I hearby swear that I will begin to eat properly as of today! (and look up some new recipies, and buy groceries and make some meals. No more junk!)

I must say though, we Canadians may have fake money and fake Emmy Awards, but our fake spinach is not covered in e-coli! So there! I had a delicious harvest stew this week with CANADIAN spinach (made by Peter, of course).

Speaking of food (still), when we were visiting Pete's mom in Nova Scotia, she made us "Blueberry Grunt". It's a traditional Nova Scotian dish that we totally fell in love with it. I got her to teach me how and write out the recipe and I'm making it for Christmas dinner dessert. It's warm blueberries stewed with a little sugar and some spices over dumplings. The only drawback is that everyone has blue teeth afterwards. There can be no smiling with approval. Maybe that's why it's called Grunt... cause that's all you can really do.

Well, the other Fallish thing to do is to start reading a good book. I think I found a good one to kick off cocooning season. The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfield. It's all Jane Erye, gothic mansions, thunderstorms and family secrets. Perfect! It has great reviews and interestingly, this is the author's first book.

I think next on my list might have to be: Special Topics in Calamity Physics, by Marisha Pessl. One reviewer said her writing was a cross between David Sedaris and Dave Eggers. Whoa. That's like being "the new Bob Dylan". We'll see.

Any other suggestions?

p.s. An addendum to the above eating proclomation. This does not cover Gingerbread and/or Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbucks. Cause I'm totally getting one tonight after work.

2 Comments:

At 2:25 a.m., Blogger the heilife said...

Wow, spinach and blueberries. You really know how to hit me where it hurts. What else is in Harvest Stew?

I have no book recommendations for you, as all I have been reading these days are work emails. And they are very very boring.

p.s. Lost is on DVD but I warn you to plan ahead. Noah and I went to the video store like junkies at 11:45 pm on Christmas dying for the next chapter.

 
At 8:46 a.m., Blogger Sadie Says said...

Harvest stew is pretty much however you want to make it but the usual ingrediants are: Sweet potato and/or squash of some type, chick peas, carrot, sweet pepper, spinach, coriander and curry. Yum!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home