Sunday, November 05, 2006

I started to write this on Saturday, but there’s always so much to do! And I don’t even consider my life a busy one. But we did spend a fun afternoon in Waterloo wishing Niece Gwyneth a happy 2nd birthday. And I do believe her sister, Alison, was as excited about the “ice cream” cake as the birthday girl was. (I suspect even a little more).

Well, anyway, Friday was the big night. We loaded up on garlicy food and made our way to the John Labatt Centre. Let me just say that it’s NOT a good idea to eat a lot of garlic before a long concert. We even had gum… it didn’t work. I feel sorry for the people that were around us. But, back to the story. There is just NOTHING like front row. Especially when you didn’t have to wait in line for 8 hours to get it, be in danger of losing your place if you move, or have to listen to horrible acoustics because you’re too close. We just ate like pigs and waltzed ourselves to the front of the room. Once there, we could stretch out our legs, and most importantly, not have to worry about how tall the guy in front of us might be. I can’t stress enough how important front row is. Got it?

We were a tiny bit late and missed the FooFighter’s first song—although I did hear it while I was waiting in the line to get through the gate. But let me just admit here for a moment that I’m a big judger of book covers. I have blown off the Foo’s for many years, I don’t really know why other than the fact that it sounds like Frat boys named their band. I also know I’m a snob and newish bands have to really prove something to me before I’ll even glance their way. All I can say is that they proved it! They were really, really great. All of the band members were simply fantastic players and frankly, they blew us all away. And that’s coming from someone that only recognized one of their songs.

Between sets I had the great pleasure of leaving my seat (with no fear that someone would steal it) and use the facilities, get a drink, talk to friends that were sitting elsewhere, etc. Again, so much more relaxed than General Admission.

Then Bob came on and we all stood up—and stayed that way the entire set. Nine thousand and some-odd people. There was a fair amount of space between us and the stage, and they set up the band quite far back from the front of the stage. So we weren’t within “touching” distance. Which I guess was good because the stage was quite high and that way we could see quite well without craning our necks. I’m not even going to say the show was good, or fantastic, or amazing or sublime. I mean, come on. It was Bob. I don’t think I have to waste the words. And it was most definitely all of those things. But, I will be honest and say it’s not my most favorite of Bob shows. He played the keyboards the entire night—never once picked up the guitar. I very much missed the guitar. And he was facing sideways towards the other band members, so of course it didn’t matter to us, but if you were on the right side of the stage, you’d be looking at his back all night. That would suck!

But regardless, he is so fun to watch with is funny little dance steps and intense sideways glances. And how cute is it that he still sets up his Oscar beside him on stage? The standout songs for me included Masters of War, Netty Moore, Rollin’ and Tumblin and one of my favorite songs of all time Not Dark Yet. Not to make this all mushy and sentimental, but this concert did fall on the anniversary of my mom’s death, three years ago. I shed a little bitter-sweet tear when he sang “For every beautiful thing, there’s been some kind of pain.” Ain’t it so true.

Oh and during Masters of War, which is always very intense, something made him laugh. A few of the band members laughed at his laughing (lol) and Bob had to turn his back to the audience to get his composure back. Pretty cute.

The setlist is here.

The London Free Press review is here (I think he’s right on the money)

1 Comments:

At 8:30 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! I love that you could eat and then waltz to the frunrow and then take a break all without worry. I'm so glad you liked the Afoostik set...I was so engaged through their whole show. I will admit I've never seen a Bob show, but I'm quite sure it's beyond sublime. I am totally laughing at your description of him turning around to regain his composure--that sounds like someone else we've seen! Oh, and I had no idea that he kept his oscar up there...that's interesting. I'm so glad you had all this fun just blocks from your house!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home