Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Day 2 of my product love posts.

This one might seem like a strange one, but it's one of the very few things I've ever tried that lived up to the hype and did all it said it was going to do. It's kitty litter! No, really.

Last summer, I noticed Pinky having major problems with hairballs--not just coughing them up, but also becoming constipated and consequently getting ill. Thankfully, adding a little fiber to her food has cleared it right up (canned pumpkin!). However, it seems that her earlier painful experiences in the litter box caused her to equate the pain with the litter box and she started peeing on the floor beside the box. I didn't quite realize this until she did it right in front of me a couple of months ago. (We keep the litter in an unheated sun porch and she was just peeing on newspaper or linoleum so I didn't always smell and if it had dried up before I saw it, I wouldn't know). I keep the litter very clean due to Iggy's bladder infection problem--so I knew it wasn't that. There didnt seem to be any territorial issues and I knew she was healthy and not stressed. I tried a couple of different litters, but the problem persisted. From what I'd gatheredfrom reading about this problem--it seemed she had just picked up a habit.

Then I read about Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter. It's a clay based litter with some herbal scent (that only the cat can really smell) that's supposed to attract the cat to the litter. It was made to help train kittens and get problem cats to start using their litter again. I'd read several raving reviews of it at the PetSmart online store customer boards, so I decided to give it a try.

The litter comes with a booklet that you should read thoroughly. Then follow the directions. We're going on three weeks now without one single "accident". And what is it that they always say? It takes 2 weeks to start a habit? I think we're on the right track!

I hope someone out there is helped by reading this. Too many cats are abused or surrendered to shelters every year because of this kind of problem. Dr. Elsey has different approaches for even the worst of problem cats--so with some patience, there is hope!

Visit Dr. Elsey's website to read more about their products, including Cat Attract litter. Cat Attract can be purchased at PetSmart in Canada.

2 Comments:

At 3:37 a.m., Blogger Unknown said...

hai i am krishna from qatar i would like to have friendship with you.

 
At 12:00 p.m., Blogger Noelle said...

That sounds like great litter, but have you found any kitty litter that works well and prevents kitty from tracking litter all over the kitchen floor?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home