Sunday, June 08, 2008

Well, the kitchen saga continues. Are you bored yet? I'm not!

The next stage involved ripping out the bottom cabinets. We had it all planned for Saturday morning. I emptied everything out on Friday and set up a little temporary food prep station in the dining room complete with disposable plates and cutlery.

I got up around 7:30 on Saturday morning, and Pete had the whole thing pretty much done. So much for getting a chance to smash something!


I was surprised to see more of the wood planking behind the cabinet. It's pretty darn old if it was there before the kitchen cabinets were put in.




Under the right side of the cabinets, we found this flooring. It must have been the original floor. It was removed from the rest of the kitchen sometime after the base cabinets went in. That's a lot of green paint for one room!

We found this linoleum under the other side of the cabinets. It was on top of another, plainer piece. I think they just used it to shim up the cabinets and cover a big hole in the wood floor on that side. Isn't it cool? It was so dirty you could barely see the pattern. I cleaned it up so I could see what it looked like. Very art deco, I'd say.


This is the other piece of lino. I like this one too. Of all of the lino I've found in the house, I haven't seen either of these patterns. This one is actually square tiles instead of sheets.


So then Rob N. came over and we finished the kitchen. Here it is. Isn't it beautiful?



Just kidding. Rob and Pete built a temporary sink so we'd at least have some water until we do the flooring.

We ordered some flooring called "Cushion Step", made by Armstrong. It's sort of spongy so it will be warm on the feet. Pete thinks we can lay it ourselves so we'll be saving a lot of money.

Next steps: Wait for the flooring to arrive. Put down a new subfloor. Put drywall in behind cabinets. Put in new cabinets and counter. Install dishwasher. Paint top cupboards, walls and ceilings. Hmm... that's a lot of work ahead of us!

And just so you don't think I live in complete squalor all of the time. Look at my garden! I'm so happy with the flowers I bought for the pot on the steps and in the hanging basket this year.





4 Comments:

At 10:51 a.m., Blogger Noelle said...

I kind of love that old tile. But I think your garden's better.

 
At 6:31 p.m., Blogger Louise said...

It made me think of Canada's Worst Handyman when you said the photo of the temporary sink was your finished kitchen - although on that show it would have been considered a masterpiece. Man those people are dumb.

Your garden looks lovely - sadly mine is a pile of weeds.

 
At 7:30 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think yours is the oldest kitchen I've seen ripped apart. So proud of you guys doing all of this yourself little by little. Good luck w/ the flooring...

and yes, your flowers are beautiful this year! You have to have some beauty around to counteract the dust and descruction right!

-Kris

 
At 8:56 a.m., Blogger MDavidson said...

Hey, you mentioned the Bag Lady!!! I love that place. Pretty cool stuff she has.
Miriam

 

Post a Comment

<< Home