Thursday, June 14, 2007

Work, work, work... etc. My house is disaster--but soon it will be beautiful, right? right? ugh

And then of course, the yard and weeds march on outside because I'm not there to hack it all down. I took a break from plaster dust and paint fumes on the weekend to do a little weeding in the back.

Of course, I ended up digging a big hole again and doing a little more backyard archeaology (see what happened on my last adventure here). This hole was jam packed with pieces of pottery and glass--every darn shovel full. It almost came to: "Oh, another piece of china. Yawn." Here are some photos of only part of the haul. There was so much that I left a lot of it in the hole and only pulled out some of the pieces with patterns I hadn't seen before.

In this picture you can see part of what looks like a pitcher and a small piece of blue patterned pottery that, so far, I've only found at the front of the house.There were lots of simple white china as well. You'll also see the remains of a large bottle.



In this picture you can see a little piece of milk glass in a basket weave pattern. As well, there are some pieces with a light pink pattern with gold accents. Some of the white pieces also have gold accents. Amazing that those accents are still there after all these years.


The best two finds of the day were a marble (that matches another marble I found in this vicinity last year--white with orange and yellow specks). And... another fully intact bottle! Not sure what was in it but it says "Purity Oxwaco". I couldn't find anything on the internet, so for now, it's a mystery.


Lastly, here is the hole--right by the shovel is a bone. Dont worry, I'm sure it belonged to a turn-of-the-century cow.


Also, I finally got the bucket out of the hole from last year. It turned out to be an enameled cooking pot. It's in pretty rough shape but a pretty cool find indeed (forgot to take a picture of it!)

Now I have to figure out what to do with all of this stuff!

3 Comments:

At 8:48 a.m., Blogger Noelle said...

I think you should erect a museum in honor of your backyard. Fascinating!

 
At 12:02 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's cool. All I ever find in my backyard is raccoon crap.

Also, I'm thinking of obsessing about what "purity oxwaco" might mean. What kind of bottle doesn't rate a single mention on the internet?

 
At 8:59 a.m., Blogger Sadie Says said...

I know. And by getting no google results for that combo of words I think I win a prize.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home