Tuesday, May 22, 2007

I am not a fan of Michael Moore or the "opinionated documentary" genre in general (I just made up that name--but is there a name for that type of film yet?). However, curiosity... and more than a little civic and employment pride might compell me to see his upcoming release "Sicko"--about the U.S. health care system.

The London Free Press is reporting that London and the very hospital I work at has a "sizable portion" in the film and that MM is considering a London premier. The Canadian portions were filmed in order to compare the two health care systems.

Read the article here for all of the details (cause everyone should sample the incredible journalism of the LFP once in their life).

p.s. I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks it's hilarious that the Canadian patient in the story had his fingers severed by a hockey puck.

3 Comments:

At 8:12 p.m., Blogger Noelle said...

Meh. Michael Moore takes some very important topics and makes them so outlandish that he creates controversy where there should be discussion. It drives me up the wall, because I feel like, "I agree with you, why are you yelling at me?" I'm interested in this movie, because health care confounds me. It'll be cool for you to see your home turf.

 
At 11:29 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to see the movie, even if it's just to see St. Joe's and London in it. As you know I worked across the street at St. Mary's for a number of years so I would probably find it interesting.

I do agree that Moore goes over the top with his films, but it makes people pay attention, I guess.

 
At 12:44 a.m., Blogger Joe Ganci said...

I agree that Michael's tactics sometimes are a bit over-the-top but I think many times it's necessary to make people sit up and notice what's happening. When there are so many on the other side of these issues yelling loudly, making important points quietly often doesn't work. So I think we're better off with Michael's movies and books than we would be without them. Just my opinion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home