Friday, March 30, 2007

When I first heard The Police were touring, I immediately thought about the Police Picnic’s we attended in the early 80’s and all of the fun we had at them. I even thought I would like to go to one of the current shows if they came around here—and thinking how cool it would be to get everyone together again to go.

But it would seem that Synchronicity (get it?) was working its magic and the same thoughts were occurring way over in the U.K. So our beloved Phil contacted Wen and she contacted me to say he’d contacted her and then… well, I did a lot of thinking about long ago events. I laughed out loud thinking about sleeping in the Henry Moore Sculpture in front of the AGO. I don’t think I was even there for that one (Was I?) But it was a typical adventure. I have very strong memories of “surfing” our Chinese Mary Jane shoes over the subway grates beside City Hall at 3:00 in the morning. Oh and playing the made-up “St. Francis of Assisi” game when trying to fall asleep.

I even looked at the tour schedule. The summer dates in Toronto are already sold out. There’s a third date in November of 2007 that still has seats—but it’s in the Air Canada Centre and we’d be practically sitting in Mississauga. Besides that, I don’t think we could get away with trying to bring in a vodka soaked watermelon.

Edited to add the above picture circa... 1981 maybe?

And for everyone else still reading this, sorry about all of that lame memory crap. I think that’s what you do when you get old, right? Yep. Soon I’ll be telling all of my old stories to strangers in malls and supermarkets.

Well, here’s some little things you never knew you needed:


5 Comments:

At 1:36 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about me? I feel very left out!..I'm pretty sure I was at a Police Picnic with someone....This is all very weird, because Mary has just discovered the Police, and all week I've been hearing "Every Little Thing She Does" blasting out of her room late at night! Everything comes around...

 
At 2:03 p.m., Blogger Sadie Says said...

Did you go to the one with The Specials? That's the one I missed and I think it was the best line-up. We didn't go to one together :-( But it's very cool that Mary has discovered them. See? it's all that Synchronicity. Maybe you could go to a concert with her!

 
At 7:13 a.m., Blogger sam binkley said...

hell yeah! I remember the police picnics... I think there were 3. the first one was the one that the cool people went to (1981?)... wendy and phil went, i think because they were cooler than us. I stayed home listening to jethro tull. the specials played at it, and it was outside toronto someplace.

I went to the second one in 82. it had the english beat, talking heads, joan jett and the flock of seagulls. the talking heads were beyond amazing.

for the third one, the line-up was: Blue Peter, King Sunny Ade & His African Beat, The Fixx, Peter Tosh, James Brown, The Police.

kids today, they don't understand how cool music used to be!!!!!!

 
At 12:20 p.m., Blogger Sadie Says said...

I went to the third one--probably the worst line up (except for James Brown!) I wish I had gone to the one with the Specials though.

Oh kids today. Actually I think the kids back then booed James Brown! (or the dumb ones at least).

 
At 5:49 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to the first one with my sis, second with Wendy and the third with you and Wendy and Sam. I remember James Brown was a last minute replacement for Simple Minds. The first one also had Killing Joke, Iggy Pop, the Go-Go's, John Otway and Wild Willy Barrett.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home