Friday, February 16, 2007

The bedroom looks simply beautiful--compared to what it used to look like, at least! I'm pretty proud of it because I didn't even get one bit of help from Pete. Ok, he did help me put the screws in for the curtain rod because I just could NOT get them in and I was stripping the screws.
How pathetic!
Anyway, it's not *quite* done yet, so I'll save the after pictures until it's completely finished. But I thought I'd post some "before" shots to set the scene.
I should also say that I'm not sure these before pictures do the hellishness justice. And this is one of the better rooms!
The room was painted in flat white paint--likely primer. The entire room... woodwork, baseboards, light switch... you name it. It's like a can of primer exploded in there. There are many cracks (and a couple of holes) in the wall--as well as many bad patch jobs.


You'll see I have socks stuffed in the creepy holes in the floor in the above picture, with a zoomed in shot below (sans socks). The floor covering is some kind of composite acting as an underlay to the orange shag rug that was on top (that we ripped up and shoved out the window the first night we were in the house).



I don't know when these ugly ugly closets were put in... but I'm going to guess it was some time in the 70's. There were a lot of cool design elements in the 70's... but so many more bad ones. Before I took this picture we had removed the 50 pound wooden sliding doors covered in sickly yellowed shellac (and that fell out of their track and onto your foot every other day). I considered ripping out this closet, but I kind of need it. As well, the ceiling above the top shelf is in bad shape and has been patched (very badly) with drywall. If we ever do rip this out, we'll need to do some serious wall work afterwards. Note the pegboard doors at the top. Classy! (there was also a very scary/creepy hole in the wall inside the closet.

The ceiling of the closet (behind the pegboard doors). There's much more damage below where the picture stops. I took this to show the old paint colour and a tiny border of wallpaper. Not sure what era this might be from. The bottom part of the closet is painted green. (with about 20 years worth of dirt on top).

But it's not all bad. Those baseboards are beautiful and original and so is the door. And look how pretty the original hardware is! I'm not kidding when I say that one of the reasons I wanted to buy this house was because of those hinges.


3 Comments:

At 4:29 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have until Wednesday to finish this up! I'm coming for a visit!! Do you know how to clean up your hinges? Boil them...See you soon, Jenny

 
At 5:36 p.m., Blogger Sadie Says said...

It's going to be done by Monday! I just bought the material to make new cupboard doors. It will look beautiful by Wednesday. Wait until you see my baseboard wizardry.

 
At 2:21 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Old houses are lots of work to repair and fix up but so interesting and beautiful. A friend of mine was looking at buying a house that was around 90 years old with solid oak baseboards and all that. His girlfriend didn't understand why he was drooling about it (I was drooling too just to heard him talk about it). She complained about all the stuff that needed to be fixed. He says the place is a steal but it's been on the market a long time because no-one wants to spend the time and money to upgrade the pipes, electrial work etc. He had to sadly pass on buying the place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home